New research has been published in Vaccine on pneumococcal disease in hospitals (Canada)
- Active Community Acquired Pneumonia and institutional-acquired pneumonia surveillance was conducted in hospitalized adults since 2010.
- Severe outcomes and mortality is seen with CAP and IPD in hospitalized adults.
- The serotype distribution suggests most disease in adults is vaccine-preventable.
- The incidence of vaccine-preventable pneumococcal CAP by age was estimated.
- Most vaccine-preventable pneumococcal disease is seen in adults aged ≥50 years
Burden of vaccine-preventable pneumococcal disease in hospitalized adults: A Canadian Immunization Research Network (CIRN) Serious Outcomes Surveillance (SOS) network study